What are they
When we refer to the term semi-precious stones or gemstones we refer to mineral stones which have been used for thousands of years in the manufacture of jewelry such as bracelets, earrings, rings and necklaces.
In many ancient cultures, in addition to being ornamental, gemstones had healing, protective and other positive properties. Protection from misfortune, negative energy, illness and misery. They were also used as religious symbols as well as symbols of wealth and power.
Most known semi-precious stones
The colors the beauty and glow that semi-precious stones emit give them a special charm, so maybe for this reason people gave them magical properties. The most famous semi-precious stones and the properties they give to each are the following:
- Agate: It is a stone with brown-orange color and weed out cowardice and melancholy.
- Onyx: It is a stone found in a wide range of colors with the most common color being black. Protects against the evil eye, enhances strength, endurance, confidence, courage and self-control.
- Tsavorite: It is a rare and impressive mineral stone with deep green color which helps to get rid of stress and insomnia.
- Aquamarine: It is a blue-green stone and its name means ”sea water”. Dispels fear, gives inner peace and tranquility as well as health and happiness.
- Tourmaline: Because it is a stone found in a wide range of colors, legend says that it met the rainbow and took on its colors. Dispels bad energy, nervousness and negative thoughts.
- Tiger eye: It is a stone with golden yellow color and protects from the evil eye and financial adversity. It also protects health and bring luck.
- Jasper: It is a stone that is found in various shades with the most common being red, yellow, green and brown. It attracts luck, wealth and love. It enhances health, courage, determination and passion.
- Hematite: It is a stone with metallic gray color or red to brown. Gives confidence, calm and happiness, while protecting against anxiety and depression.
- Malachite: It is a stone with green color and its name comes from the Greek word “molocha” from the color of the plant’s leaves. Brings abundance, professional advancement and success.
- Quartz: It is a stone that is found in a wide range of colors. In ancient times it was considered the most sacred stone. It has strong protective and healing properties.
- Topaz: It is a stone that in its pure form is colorless but is usually colored by the soil components that surround it. The usual colors we find are blue, yellow, honey, purple, green, brown, pink, orange. It offers abundance and good health and fights insomnia and bad energy.
- Red Garnet: It got its name from the Latin word “Granatum” which means pomegranate. It is considered the stone of love. Protects against evil and adversity.
- Opal: It is a stone that is found in various shades with internal iridescence and got its name from the Sanskrit word “upala” which means “stone or jewel”. It strengthens the psyche, offers protection, bring luck and abundance and attracts money.
- Moonstone: It is a white stone with pale blue highlights and got its name from the moon as their color and luster are similar. It brings good luck and calmness, clears the mind and sharpens intuition.
- Turquoise: It is a stone with blue color and is considered the most lucky stone. Protects against the evil eye and brings luck, peace and tranquility.
- Amethyst: It is a stone with purple-violet color. It calms and soothes fears and strengthens intuition.
- Coral: Legend says that coral was born from the blood of Medusa when Perseus beheaded her and her head dropped into the sea. We find it in red, white or black colors. Protects against the evil eye, accidents and natural disasters. It strengthens courage and gives good luck.
- Lapis Lazuli: It is a blue stone and its name comes from the Persian word “Azul” which means blue and from “Lapis” which means stone. Protects against bad energy and increases mental abilities and self-confidence.